In day to day operation PID controllers are
- Often in manual mode, or are put in manual during large disturbances
- Causing process oscillations due to bad tuning or sub-optimal control strategies
- Part of a control strategy that is copied from the old DCS or pneumatic controllers
- Tuned based on a time consuming trial and error approach. This can result in long startup times for grass root plants
- Tuned based on tuning rules like Ziegler-Nichols, Lambda and Kappa-Tau. These rules give reasonable results in many cases. Critical loops that have a direct effect on product quality, energy consumption or overal plant throughput, should be tuned based on real optimization. The difference in performance is significant
- Interacting with each other, posing a challenge to the control engineers to tune them correctly.
The benefits of optimal PID Control
- Reduced process oscillations resulting in less wear and tear of the equipment
- Less alarms
- Less operator interventions
- Less process interactions due to optimal control strategies
- The plant becomes APC-ready
- More efficient plant operations (higher production, less specific energy consumption, better quality control,…).
What defines the IPCOS’ PID Control solutions?
- Combine process know-how and control know-how
- A first time right approach
- We want to share share our experience by offering PID tuning training courses to our customers
- Look at the process. Not everything can be solved with PID tuning. E.g. bad actuators and instruments can have a large impact on the control loop performance. Tuning will not resolve this. IPCOS engineers will do the right triage of your control loops
- Covers all common DCS/PLC systems on the market
- Keep it simple. Optimal balance between benefits and complexity
- Focus on the tuning AND the control structures
- Usage of state of the art tuning tools (see INCA PID Tuner and INCA AptiTune).
Need PID tuning training? Click here
Discover our PID tuning tools
Tuning individual PID controllers
Tuning individual and multiple interacting PID controllers.
Also available as Cloud Application